Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Visit to the Temple of Apollo and Delphi Museum

Judy at Temple of Apollo


Judy and Christopher at Temple of Apollo

Central among the number of imposing ruins that are interspersed on the Southern slopes of Parnassos mountain is the temple of Apollo. It is an imposing temple of the Doric order whose existence was woven through the turbulent history of the site, and endured numerous incarnations before it settled to the ruinous state we find it today, and which dates back to the 4th c. B.C. The temple of Apollo was first built around the 7th c. B.C. by the two legendary architects Trophonios and Agamedes. It was rebuilt after a fire in the 6th c. B.C.. and was named the "Temple of Alcmeonidae" in tribute to the noble Athenian family that oversaw its construction with funds form all over Greece and foreign emperors. This temple was also of the Doric order and had 6 columns at the front, and 15 columns at the flanks.

Temple of Apollo

This temple was destroyed in 373 B.C. by an earthquake and was rebuilt for the third time in 330 B.C. Spintharos, Xenodoros, and Agathon, architects from Corinth. The sculptures that adorned its pediment were the creation of Athenian sculptors Praxias and Androsthenes. It was built to similar proportions and size as the Alcmeonidae version of the temple, with a peristasis of 6 and 15 columns along the short and long edges respectively.
The temple's foundations survive today along with several Doric columns made of porous stone and limestone which is fairly soft material, and have allowed for the temple's advanced decaying. Very little is known about the temple's interior arrangement.

Inside Delphi Museum..large spinhx of Naxos c. B.C. 566

Kouros Statues..Kleobis and Biton c. B.C. 580


Perirrhanterion Tripod and Caryatids


Aged philosopher..280 - 270 B.C.

and Delphic Oracle


Inside Delphi Museum

All above pictures by Judy.

6 comments:

Tom Wright said...

Thanks Joe.

Anonymous said...

I told Joe I could tell he wrote it because I began to say "blah blah" as I was skipping to the pictures!! xooxox

Life Is Good said...

Thanks Tom. It was a pleasure. I got a little carried away though I'm afraid. When I saw the brilliant pictures Judy sent, my curiosity got the better of me and I had to identify them. Hence the detailed descriptions.
Joe.

Anonymous said...

Good post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

Anonymous said...

awesome blog, do you have twitter or facebook? i will bookmark this page thanks. lina holzbauer

Anonymous said...

I seldom leave comments on blog, but I have been to this post which was recommend by my friend, lots of valuable details, thanks again.