Thursday, June 21, 2007

We Arrived Safely

I am sitting in a phone store or something like that about 2 1/2 blocks from our hotel...we are at the Hotel Florida in a room about the size of our closet. It is 9:35 Rome time and this is the first I have been able to get on the internet. This is an internet hotpoint and I guess I am lucky it is so close to the hotel.

I wanted you to know we are here. There is a ton to tell - a comedy of errors for the first few days here. The entire groups' luggage didn't make it here, it is supposed to be arriving at midnight tonight - x your fingers.

Waiting for luggage that failed to arrived

It is hot - mid 80's and humid, a bit unseasonable for this time of year. We all drink water like crazy and with sweating more than I ever have in my life and drinking gallons of water I still hardly have to go to the bathroom. Sorry guys, but that is the truth. I am laughing; it is the truth of the situation. Our feet hurt, our legs hurt. We have walked and walked and walked and walked, and go ahead and multiply that by about 10.

The tour is extremely fast paced and we are taking in a lot. Tomorrow morning we leave for our optional at Florence at 7 am - it is a 4 hour drive. We will be there about 11 and will leave for home about 4 in the afternoon, back in Rome about 8 and then dinner someplace.

We have had two wonderful and full days and when I get another chance to get on the internet I will write more. I can't even begin at this hour of the night after such a long day to start sharing the events and the high points. Well one makes me want to cry. We were in the Sistine chapel, so much to tell about that. I stood in front of the alter looking at Christ on the crucifix and all I wanted to do was say the Lord's Prayer. So I did! Then I called Christopher over and said it with him standing next to me and then I said every prayer our family says at bedtime and meal times and blessed you all. I just blessed you all. It was the spot that
the Pope stands when he is there, it is an active chapel. And yes! there is lots of information but for me saying prayers was a very emotional and touching experience. We walked on the floors of the coliseum that the Romans walked on 2000 years ago. It is all very overwhelming and I am sure has not made its way into my being yet.

Christopher is having a wonderful time, he and I both got goosebumps today when we visited St. Peter's Basilica and the Sistine Chapel.

1 comment:

Tom Wright said...

Thanks for such a wonderful update and the photos add so much. I love you.